Friday, June 10, 2016

Part-custom, part-overall

Members of one guild I belong to make quilts to give to injured service personnel. Most of these quilts are made of red, white and blue fabrics, but some are made with other color choices. We hope this cheerful quilt will make some soldier very happy.

Before considering designs, I auditioned threads and decided on Superior So Fine #510. This aqua  looks good on all the fabrics and it contrasts nicely on the yellow backing. Something organic seemed the obvious choice for an overall, so I set out to quilt a vine.

I always look for ways to add custom touches to any quilt. This approach is what I call part-custom, part-overall. It's a way to boost an overall design without too much extra effort. I started quilting leaves and swirly tendrils, and when I got to the flower-print fabric, I outlined the flowers and echoed them, and then resumed quilting leaves.

When I got to the darkest blue fabrics, I freehanded some other flowers.

Lastly, the back of the quilt is a wholecloth -- two great sides to say thank you so much for your service. 





No comments:

Post a Comment